Geography Field Studies
Geography Leaving Certificate - Geographical Investigation 2017
ĎAn investigation of the impact of the processes of transportation, and deposition in a fluvial (river) land-formí
OUR TOPIC: MEANDER STUDY
The stage of the river could be classified as the mature stage of the river, with a very obvious meander, with evident erosion and deposition taking place along the course. We have three study sites only 30m-40m apart.
The processes of transportation and deposition have a significant impact on the formation of a fluvial landform known as a meander.
To prove that Transportation and Deposition contribute to the migration of the river channel at a meander.
- Measure the river velocity and discharge on the outside and inside of a river meander to prove the velocity decrease on the inside.
- Measure the transverse gradient to analyse the shape of the river valley.
- Analyse the bedload across a transection of the valley profile
- Compare historical maps with current map to check for migration of meander
- Compare geological maps of the area to determine bedrock as an aid to determine transportation is occurring.
This is a sample programme brief:
- Groups Arrive @ 10am
- Introduction & class work
- Start at fieldwork site @ 11am
- Lunch at 1.30pm followed by results confirmation
- Finish at 2.30pm
For a more detailed programme brief or additional information and a sample of a worksheet please Contact Us